Realm of the Ghost King is a quick-play roguelike where you must battle your way through eight randomly generated dungeons to defeat the Ghost King and become the new king of the realm.
Select from nine unlockable characters, each with their own unique abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. You must manage your resources, strengthen your character and rely on your choices to get through each level. Use bombs to defeat enemies and get to hidden power-ups. Just don't make the wrong choices because death is permanent.
- It's a quick-play Roguelike! All the turn-based, randomly generated, perma-death, and monster battling that you love but designed to allow for quicker play sessions.
- Randomly generated dungeons ensure no two playthroughs are ever the same.
- The Daily Challenge, which lets you compare your run to other players. Everyone plays the same set of levels and you have 24 hours to play, but you only get one shot. See how you stack up on the leaderboards.
- Hopefully awesome pixel art if you're into that sort of thing.
- Secrets! Lots of stuff to discover and unlock.
When Will It Be Out?
It was released to Mac and PC on January 18th, 2018! The Linux version came out on January 30th.
Where Can I Get It?
You can get it on Steam and itch.io via the following links:
You can also buy it on the Buy It! page using widgets for these two stores. All versions of the game include a Steam key and the itch.io version is DRM-free.
What Can I Play It On?
You can play it on Windows, Mac and Linux. When you buy it you'll get access to the game on both platforms and there will be a mechanism for loading your stats and unlocks onto different installs of the game if you wish to do so. The Steam version has Steam Cloud integration so playing it on different computers via Steam will sync all of that automatically.
I Bought Your Game But I'm Having Issues With It!
First off: thanks! Second: head over to the Help Page for more info on what to do. Also I'll try to list common problems that come up on that page.
Can I Stream It?
Yes you can! In fact, that would be super cool. Feel free to send me a link to your video or replay of your stream or whatever, because I'd definitely love seeing people play the game.
Who Made This?
This is the first commercial game by Mantis-Eye Labs, LLC, which is a totally legitimate game company that's really just one person. That would be me, Mike Watson! I've been a software developer for a bunch of years, and I even briefly worked in the games industry doing web development for a couple places. I started Realm of the Ghost King it in 2014 for the 7 Day Roguelike Challenge. It was initially called "Ghost Roguelike" and then "Ghost Realm" and also I guess I worked on it for a lot longer than seven days. Making games is fun, but also takes a while!